What Should I Talk About With My Girlfriend
The butterflies, the sweaty palms, the racing heart… The rush of emotions you feel when you spend time with your girlfriend is something we’ve all experienced. While these emotions are fantastic, they can make it hard to form thoughts or hold a conversation. Luckily, we are here to help. Here are exciting topics for any discussion to ensure you never have awkward pauses or lapses in your conversation with your girlfriend.
Table of Content :
What Should I Talk About With My Girlfriend – Via Text
Short, sweet, and to the point, talking to your girlfriend via text should be effortless. Since this will likely be your primary mode of communication, you want to keep text conversations light and fun. When you’re stumped for things to say, consider these topics:
- Feelings. Ask your girlfriend about her feelings. How is she doing, and what can you do to make it better? Extend sympathy if she’s having a hard time and share her excitement or frustration. It’s not always easy to pick up on emotions via text, so it is essential to check in on her feelings and share your own. Emotional bonding will strengthen your relationship and make those non-text times that much better.
- Hobbies. What TV shows is she watching? What movies does she like? How does she like to spend her free time? Talk to your girlfriend about her hobbies. Whether you share them or not, showing an interest in her interests is essential.
- Preferences. Let’s be honest- there is always room for improvement in any relationship. While it’s not worth second-guessing past decisions (or taking this too far and asking all the time), you can always check in on occasion and get her feedback. How did she enjoy your last date? What would she like to do on the next one? Does she care about where you take her to eat, how you dress, or how you spend your time? Checking in with her makes her feel validated and keeps your conversation flowing.
- Compliments. Texting is the easiest medium for sending compliments. With a few quick keystrokes and some fire emojis, you can brighten your girlfriend’s day. Do you like her personality? Appearance? Sense of humor? Let her know.
- One-Word Game. If you’re in a new relationship, the one-word game can be a great way to break the ice and find things to talk to your girlfriend about. It’s easy to play. You say two words, and she has to say one back. Baseball or soccer? Career or family? Apple or mango? Make sure you are actively listening to her answers, so you remember her likes and dislikes in the future.
What Should I Talk About With My Girlfriend – On the Phone
I know, I know. Phone calls are pretty much an obsolete form of communication left only to Boomers and Millennials. However, take it from me- there is something special about late-night phone calls with your girlfriend. These phone calls are an excellent chance for you to both let down your guard and begin to get to know each other on a deeper level. Keep the phone conversation going using these topics:
- Ask her about her day. Your girlfriend wants to be able to rely on you. So pull up a chair, let her spill the tea, and find out what is going on in her life. As she tells you about her day, ask questions to prompt her to share more. What happened in her day? How did it make her feel? Make sure you are actively listening and responding.
- Habits. Talking about your habits- the good, the bad, and everything in between- is not only good for your relationship but also entertaining. What weird quirks should she know about you? What does she think her good and bad habits are? What about yours? Make a note of her answers- they may help you avoid some relationship minefields in the future.
- Religion. While this can be a sensitive conversation, late-night marathon phone calls can be the perfect time to get honest about heavy topics. Tread carefully, but don’t be afraid to talk to your girlfriend about religion. After all, if you want to continue to deepen your relationship, these are the kinds of conversations you need to have.
- Inner Circle. In the words of the Spice Girls (yes, they’re still relevant), “if you wanna be my lover/ you gotta get with my friends.” If you want this relationship to last, you need to know all about the friends and family in your girlfriend’s inner circle. These are the people who she cannot live without and who will help her navigate your relationship. Asking to learn more about them will earn you major brownie points, both with her and with them.
- Would You Rather. Want to get to know your girlfriend on a deeper level? Would You Rather is an excellent game for opening up some of life’s more significant topics. It’s easy to play: simply start with “would you rather….” and end with any question you’d like the answer to. You can ask funny, deep, introspective, or personal questions and then use the answers to prompt a new and fun conversation. So here’s a link to one of our posts on Would You Rather questions.
What Should I Talk About With My Girlfriend – Over FaceTime
If you’re going to have a phone call, why not upgrade it to a video chat? Especially when life gets in the way and you have to spend some time apart, video chats can help you feel connected. However, video chats can also feel awkward, and it can sometimes be challenging to know what to talk to your girlfriend about. When you need some inspiration, try the following topics:
- Your Feelings. I know this can be scary. It can be hard to open up and speak from the heart when you’re looking into her eyes. But trust me, nothing will make her happier than seeing you and hearing how you are doing. Whether you are talking about her, your day, or something else that stirs your soul, opening up to your girlfriend will keep the conversation and the relationship flowing.
- Thought-Provoking Questions. If only there was somewhere you could go to find some thought-provoking questions to ask your girlfriend. Fortunately, there is! Here’s a link to all of our thought-provoking questions.
- Role Models. Based on their role models, you can learn a lot about who someone is and what is important to them. For example, who is your girlfriend’s most significant role model? Why? What does she like about that person, and does she see those traits in herself?
- Make Plans. What’s better than seeing your girlfriend on your phone? Seeing her in person, of course! Use your FaceTime date to make plans for your next get-together. What does she want to do this weekend? What should you watch for your next Netflix and chill?
- Memories. What is her favorite childhood memory? Does she remember the first time she saw you? Reliving memories is a great conversation to have with your girlfriend when you are physically apart. Whether they are shared or personal memories, they can help you understand your girlfriend better and make the conversation flow.
While romance is an integral part of any relationship, it can sometimes be scary to talk about or instigate. However, the conversation topics below are perfect for helping you start a romantic conversation with your girlfriend.
- Dates. You got the girl; now you want to keep her. While women like surprises, they also enjoy being asked for their opinions. Don’t be afraid to ask your girlfriend what she likes. What is her ideal date? What is the most romantic thing a boyfriend can do for her? The least? These questions will make her feel appreciated while giving you some new ideas for future dates.
- Your Relationship. Despite what every rom-com tells you, it is crucial to communicate with your girlfriend and discuss your relationship if you want it to last. Don’t be afraid to talk to her about how the relationship is going. What is the most important thing to her in your relationship? What are three things you could do to make her feel more appreciated or special? Is there anything she is frustrated with that she would like to change? While these conversations can be challenging, they will ultimately bring you closer together.
- Guilty Pleasures. Everyone has them. Whether sexual or not, guilty pleasures can be a great conversation for a romantic night. What is her guilty pleasure show to watch when she is home alone? Her guilty pleasure self-care activity to do? Just remember that whatever you ask her, she can ask you!
- Her comfort. A relationship should be somewhere that your girlfriend feels comfortable and safe. Find out what you can do to make her feel comfortable. When does she feel uncomfortable? What can you do in these situations to help her feel more comfortable?
- Sexy Time. Talking about your physical relationship is important and can be great foreplay for the real event. What are her turn-ons? How often does she like to be physical? Does she have favorite positions or locations? Does she have any fantasies she’d like to try? These conversations are not only fun, but they will also bring you closer.
Sometimes you just want some lighthearted conversations to pass the time. These topics are great for starting a fun, humorous conversation with your girlfriend.
- Hobbies. Learning about your girlfriend’s hobbies is a great way to get to know her better. What is a hobby she never wants to lose? What hobby does she want to start or one she used to do but stopped? Does she have a hobby that you could do together?
- Gossip. Girls want a boyfriend who will listen to their gossip and keep it secret. Letting your girlfriend open up will be fun for her and give you things to talk about both now and in the future. After all, you’ll want to know how the drama plays out!
- Fiction and Imagination. Everyone has had a fictional crush. So when you’re looking for what to talk to your girlfriend about, consider starting conversations about fantasy and imagination. For example, if your girlfriend could replace you with a fictional character, who would it be and why? If she could be a fictional character, who would she choose?
- Jokes. I know you have some good ones. Don’t be afraid to tell her some jokes. Figuring out her sense of humor and finding jokes that she finds funny will brighten your day and help you find new, funny things to talk about in the future.
- Things that Make Her Happy. Find out what brings a smile to her face. What is your girlfriend’s favorite food? Favorite activity? What is her go-to funny show or movie? These are great things to talk to your girlfriend about, and they will be helpful when she’s having a bad day in the future.
When you wonder what you should talk to your girlfriend about, consider some exciting topics that will have you both at the edge of your seat.
- Travel. Who doesn’t like planning out their next adventure? What is your girlfriend’s ultimate vacation? If she could pick up and move anywhere in the world, where would she choose? Whether your conversation is serious or hypothetical, talking about worldwide adventures is a fun way to pass the day.
- Goals. Discussing goals is a fun way to learn about your girlfriend and start making plans for your future. What are her goals for the week, month, and year? What was the last goal that she reached? Are there goals that you can set together for your future?
- Past Adventures. Take a trip down memory lane to exciting moments in your past. What is your favorite party story? Has she ever bumped into someone she knew (like, God forbid, her parents) when she was out on a Friday night? What is the coolest place she’s ever visited?
- Secrets. Are you ready to get personal? Dust off those skeletons in your closet, share your secrets, and learn some of hers. There’s nothing more exciting than sharing a secret with your girlfriend.
- Rainy Day Ideas. While Netflix and chill is a great way to spend time together, it is always good to have some plans to mix it up. Come up with some fun things to do at home the next time you find yourself enjoying a rainy day. Does she like themed movie nights? TikTok dance trends? Nerf gun battles? Brainstorm a fun way to spend your next rainy day.
The Past and Future
If you are in a relationship, you should talk to your girlfriend about her past and find out her hopes and dreams for the future. You can broach these subjects with the prompts below.
- Memories. Encourage your girlfriend to share her past with you. What is her oldest childhood memory? Was she happy with her childhood? What rule did she break the most at school or at home? When you’re nervous about talking to your girlfriend, asking her about her memories is a great way to prompt her to do a fair share of the talking.
- Previous Relationships. Talking about past partners can be awkward, but it can also bring you closer together. Understanding her past can help you give her a happy present and future. What was her longest past relationship? Who was her first crush? Her first relationship? What did she learn from her past relationships?
- Holidays. Who doesn’t like talking about holidays? Find out what her favorite holidays are and which ones she thinks are overrated. Do you have similar holiday traditions? You can even make plans to do something fun for an upcoming holiday.
- Future Goals. Talk to your girlfriend about her future hopes and dreams. Where does she see herself in five years? What are her life dreams and ambitions? Do your plans match up with hers? These are meaningful discussions to have early in a relationship.
- Future Relationships. If you are feeling bold, this is a great conversation to have with your girlfriend. Does she want to be married someday? Does she want to have kids? You can even talk to her about what it will look like if you guys get married in the future.
Looking for some introspection? If you want to surprise your girlfriend with a unique or unexpected conversation topic, try some of these:
- Gender Roles. This can be a hot-button topic, but one that can spark exciting conversations with your girlfriend. What does she believe should be the role of the man and woman in a relationship? What is the most frustrating part of being a woman? The best?
- Values and Beliefs. How do your girlfriend’s values and beliefs differ from yours? How are they similar? Whether you are putting these in terms of religion, spirituality, or a Dungeons & Dragons alignment chart, this can be a fascinating conversation to have with your girlfriend.
- World News. This topic may take some advanced research, but it can be a great thing to talk to your girlfriend about. Discuss current events and how you feel about them. Share your ideas and emotions, and make sure you give her space to share her own.
- Future Daydreams. If you are looking for a conversation topic with your girlfriend, consider discussing future daydreams. What is on her bucket list? What is her dream job? Her dream adventure? Daydreams are hypothetical and easy but can lead to interesting, revealing conversations.
- Death. Okay, this may seem like a morbid note to end on, but it can prompt some of the most interesting conversations. What would your girlfriend do if she only had one month to live? If the world was going to end tomorrow, how would she spend today? If she could choose, how would she want to die? What does she think happens after death? The deep conversations are endless, and you’ll find the hours with your girlfriend simply fly by.
Talking to your girlfriend can sometimes be hard or scary. But take a deep breath, read through this list, and trust yourself. Be yourself, be honest, and give her room to also steer the conversation. You’ll be surprised how quickly talking to your girlfriend becomes effortless.